A Swiss in the UK

Thinking about moving abroad? I was born in Switzerland and settled down in UK nearly three years ago. I got my first job and moved in my first flat within just over a year. There have been quite a few steps for me to take in order to achieve this; this is my experience as an expat, share yours with us here!

28 June 2006

National Insurance Number interview

Another big thing to get out of the way once you are in the UK, if you already have a job or are about to start working, is to apply for a National Insurance Number. Some money is taken away every month from your gross salary to be paid towards National Insurance, and for the money to be allocated to you, you need as National Insurance Number.

A NI Number can be obtained through any Job Centre Plus, Job Centre or social security office; but before being allocated one, you need to go for an interview, which lasts about an hour, and at which you will need to provide your interviewer with proof of your address in the UK (bank statement, bill, etc), proof of employment (payslip) and proof of identity (visa, ID card).

For more information about applying for a National Insurance Number, have a look at this link:

-> Applying for a National Insurance Number on


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home