Google
Web www.aswissintheuk.blogspot.com

A Swiss in the UK

Thinking about moving abroad? I was born in Switzerland and settled down in UK nearly three years ago. I got my first job and moved in my first flat within just over a year. There have been quite a few steps for me to take in order to achieve this; this is my experience as an expat, share yours with us here!

01 June 2006

Au revoir Switzerland, good morning England

So, what have we got here:

- toothbrush ... checked
- a handful of t-shirts ... checked
- half a dozen of trousers ... checked
- some toiletries ... checked
- half a dozen of pairs of shoes ... checked
- knickers and socks ... checked
- a couple of towels ... checked

But also:

- my guitar ... checked
- my Swiss ID card ... checked
- a few (quite a few actually) quid ... checked
- and ... a few photographs and bits and pieces.

That is it. This is what I took with me on April 20th 2004, when I left home, family and friends. And self-confidence.


Geneva airport, Tuesday, April 20th 2004, 6.30 am
I feel sick. I keep saying it, I know, and it really is starting to upset my mum, but I can't help it. Getting a plane scares the hell out of me, plus I'm also leaving my dear ones for at least three months. It doesn't get any better in the following hour, but I eventually fight my way through the gate and get my bum on the aircraft, and shut my eyes by scare of drowning the whole cabin attendance.
Why on earth did I do that?

Heathrow airport, Tuesday, April 20th 2004, 7.30 am
That's it, I'm here. Or there. Or all over the place, as far as I'm concerned. I'd been waiting about eight (8) years for that, and now I feel like a fish on a frying pan. I probably look like one, too.
I am waiting for Caroline, who's picking me up and for whom I'm just about to start working as an au pair.

......

Somewhere in Berkshire, 31 May 2006, 13.35 pm: Crikey, already two years ago... Why, when, how much, how, what for and who with? This is what I was wondering, but now I know and I'd like to share it all with you, if you want to bare with me for a second.

Welcome, hope you'll have fun and hopefully you'll be able to pick up a few tips!

Thinking about moving country and settle down somewhere else? I was born in Switzerland and moved to the UK two years ago. I got my first job and moved in my first flat within just over a year. There are quite a few steps to take in order to achieve this, and this is my story.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there. I just searched through some links and found your blog. Your situation 2 years ago is quite similar to my situation right now, almost identical actually. I am Swiss and want to move to England within the next few weeks. I just graduated and have no money, but I am terribly in love with this guy and anyway, I always dreamed of leaving Switzerland...

8:38 pm, August 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there. I just searched through some links and found your blog. Your situation 2 years ago is quite similar to my situation right now, almost identical actually. I am Swiss and want to move to England within the next few weeks. I just graduated and have no money, but I am terribly in love with this guy and anyway, I always dreamed of leaving Switzerland...

8:40 pm, August 22, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home